• April 1 – Kalispell’s long-time police chief Levi Gaustad resigned.
• April 4 – A sheepherder was killed by lightning near Great Falls. He was found to have $10,000 in the bank.
• April 10 – Fire destroyed several buildings at the Montana State Game Farm at Fort Peck, $15,000 damage.
• April 12 – Butte deputy sheriff John Moore shot a masked man three times during an armed robbery of a private citizen. The gunman survived.
• April 18 – Four small children burned to death at Hays on the Fort Belknap Reservation.
• April 20 – The Hungry Horse Dam project was approved unanimously by the U.S. House of Representatives.
• April 28 – A house in Great Falls was destroyed by a natural gas explosion.
• April 29 – A two-year-old boy drowned in the Milk River.
May 1944 in Montana (coming soon)